“It became necessary to seek out your resources and I can tell you that we have never been treated with such kindness and professionalism. From initial contact to actually meeting with you my daughter and I were treated with the utmost care and empathy.”
We opened our doors in October of 1996 to serve victims of sexual assault in the greater Albuquerque area. The SANE Collaborative was founded with the participation of the New Mexico Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs, multiple law enforcement agencies, the Rape Crisis Center of Central New Mexico, the District Attorney’s Office, advocacy groups, and local hospitals. It was the desire of these organizations to provide victims of sexual assault a major service: prompt and appropriate care. The program provides support and treatment for a sexual assault victim in a confidential, comforting, and safe setting.
In February of 2010, we also began offering medical/forensic exams to victims of domestic violence. Visits to the emergency department are not necessary prior to visiting SANE; however, the nurse examiner might determine that injuries are serious enough to justify a visit to the emergency department and will make an appropriate referral.
- To appropriately refer victims for immediate and follow up counseling and medical care.
- To assess, document and provide care for injuries.
- To evaluate pregnancy risk and offer prevention.
- To provide treatment for sexually transmitted infections.
- To protect the sexual assault or domestic violence victim from further harm.
- To provide timely, thorough, and professional forensic evidence collection, documentation, and preservation.
- To photo document injuries
- To provide testimony in a court of law when needed.
- To provide follow-up care, education, and resource referral.