“It became necessary to seek out your resources and I can tell you that we have never been treated with such kindness and professionalism. From initial contact to actually meeting with you my daughter and I were treated with the utmost care and empathy.”
We opened our doors in October of 1996 to serve victims of sexual assault in the greater Albuquerque area. The Collaborative was founded with the participation of the New Mexico Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs, multiple law enforcement agencies, Rape Crisis Center, District Attorneys Office, advocates and local hospitals.It was the desire of these organizations to provide victims of sexual assault prompt and appropriate care. The program provides support and treatment for a sexual assault victim in a calm, quiet and safe setting.
In February of 2010 we began offering a similar medical/forensic exam to victims of domestic violence. Visits to the emergency department are not necessary prior to visiting SANE however, the nurse examiner might determine that injuries are serious enough to justify a visit to the emergency department and will make a referral.
- To appropriately refer victims for immediate and follow up counseling and medical care.
- To assess, document and provide care for injuries.
- To evaluate pregnancy risk and offer prevention.
- To provide treatment for sexually transmitted infections.
- To protect the sexual assault or domestic violence victim from further harm.
- To provide timely, thorough and professional forensic evidence collection, documentation and preservation.
- To photo document injuries
- To provide testimony in a court of law when needed.
- To provide follow up care, education and resource referral.